Hit-and-run: what should you do?

2 min.

Here's a guide to what you should do in a hit-and-run situation.

Did you know? According to the Quebec Ministry of Public Safety, there are around 20,000 hit-and-run incidents reported every year.

What is a hit and run?

A hit-and-run is when your vehicle is hit and damaged, and the driver or the owner of the vehicle who caused the accident leaves the scene and cannot be identified.

What to do if you are a victim of a hit-and-run

  • If you witness the incident, take down all the information you remember about the driver and the vehicle: the make, model, colour, licence plate number and a description of the driver
  • Contact the police as soon as possible in order to file a police report within 48 hours of the accident
  • Take down additional information from any witnesses and get their contact information
  • Take photos of the damage to your vehicle
  • Contact your insurance company to report the incident and provide the police report number

Are you covered?

If your insurance policy includes coverage for damages resulting from a collision with another vehicle, your insurance company will assess the damage to your vehicle and will compensate you based on the terms of your policy.

If you are the victim of a hit-and-run and you are not covered for damages resulting from a collision with another vehicle, the SAAQ (provincial auto insurance corporation) has a compensation fund to cover damages to vehicles or other property for Quebec residents.

To file a claim for compensation with the SAAQ, there are several conditions that need to be met, such as:

  • The accident must have occurred in Quebec
  • The accident must have been reported to the police within 48 hours of the incident
  • The claim must be filed with the SAAQ within 60 days of the accident
  • The damages to your vehicle or other property must be assessed at over $500
  • Your insurance policy must not cover hit and runs

To see all the eligibility criteria, go to saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/traffic-accident/hit-run.

What to do if you hit a vehicle and the other driver isn’t there

Many minor accidents take place in parking lots. When this happens, the owner of the other vehicle usually isn’t there. If you hit a vehicle and you can’t contact the owner, it is recommended that you contact the police directly to report the incident.

We hope that these tips have helped you learn more about what to do in case of a hit-and-run. For more information about your insurance coverage, don’t hesitate to contact one of our agents.


Find an advisor

Whether you rent or own your vehicle, our experts can advise you on the best car insurance coverage for your needs.

Get a quick quote now


Advice Zone and economic news

The following tools will help you prepare before discussing the details of your coverage with one of our agents.

Financial Compassarrow_forward

What to do if your car is stolenarrow_forward

9 tips for saving on your car insurancearrow_forward

Insuring your vehicle “one way” or “two ways”?arrow_forward

Why choose Roadside Assistance? arrow_forward