According to the Insurance Bureau of Canada, in Quebec alone, more than 30 vehicles are stolen every day. Here are a few tips to reduce the risk of your vehicle or its contents being stolen.
A few tips to keep thieves away from your vehicle
- Choose parking spots in places that are visible and well lit, with lots of people around
- Don’t leave any valuables in plain sight inside your vehicle, like a cell phone or laptop, and put any personal items in the trunk
- Close the windows and lock the doors
- Never leave your vehicle unattended with the keys in your vehicle or with the engine running
- Install an alarm or anti-theft system on your vehicle. You can also get anti-theft markings engraved on certain parts of your vehicle such as the wheels, lights, engine and windshield. This could also qualify you for discounts on your auto insurance premiums.
Be smart with your smart key
Did you know that thieves can use an amplifier to capture the signal from your smart key to start your car? To prevent this kind of theft, keep your smart key in a closed metal case or box that blocks radio frequencies or store it away from windows and outside doors.
Don’t leave your important documents in your vehicle
Like many people, you might be keeping your proof of insurance, your registration, or even your driver’s licence in your vehicle. However, this makes life much easier for thieves. If a thief is pulled over by the police, they could just tell the officer that you let them borrow it. If you haven’t yet reported the theft, they could easily get away with it. It’s always better to keep these documents on you.
Did you know? Vehicle theft involves more than just your auto insurance!
Based on the coverage you have, if your car is stolen, it will be dealt with through your auto insurance. However, if you had belongings in the vehicle that were also stolen, like a laptop or luggage, that’s covered by your home insurance.
Based on certain terms, for a claim involving the theft of your vehicle and its contents, you may pay only one deductible (the higher of the two) if we insure both your car and your home. Another way that grouping your coverages with the same insurance company makes your life easier and saves you money!
What are the most frequently stolen vehicles?
Every year, the Insurance Bureau of Canada releases a list of the most stolen vehicles in Canada. Here are the top 10 for 2020:
- 2018 Honda CR-V 4DR AWD
- 2017 Lexus RX350/RX450H 4DR AWD
- 2017 Honda CR-V 4DR AWD
- 2018 Lexus RX350/RX350L/ RX450H/RX450HL 4DR AWD
- 2018 Ford F150 4WD
- 2019 Honda CR-V 4DR AWD
- 2018 Toyota Highlander 4DR 4WD
- 2017 Toyota Highlander 4DR 4WD
- 2019 Lexus RX350/RX350L/ RX450H/RX450HL 4DR AWD
- 2017 Dodge/Ram - Ram 1500 4WD
We hope these tips are helpful, and don’t hesitate to contact us for all your insurance needs.