Make your home look lived-in
- Ask someone you trust to pick up your mail for you.
- Ask a neighbour to park in your driveway.
- Use a timer to avoid leaving lights on all day long.
- Give a spare set of keys to a friend and ask him or her to check on your home regularly to make sure everything is OK.
- If you’ll be away for an extended period, remember to shut off your water main and flush your pipes.
- In winter, make sure your driveway is kept cleared. The same goes for your car if you leave it in your driveway.
Let your insurer know if...
- You go away in the winter
You might not be covered for damage caused by freezing.
- You go away for a significant period of time
Coverage for periods of absence can vary from one insurer to another as different companies have their own rules about the duration of the absence they will cover, among other things. A quick phone call to your insurer could save you from a big headache.
In any case, having a friend come and check on your place regularly could help make sure you’re covered. Talk to your insurer to find out more.
Tempting as it is to share your good news with your social networks, it’s wise to be discreet ahead of vacation time. Giving too much information about when you’ll be away can increase the risk of a break-in.