Am I covered under my parents’ insurance?

2 min.

Are you moving away from home to attend school? Here is what you need to know about insurance so you can focus on your education with peace of mind.

Moving out

Leaving the family home to go away to school is not a trivial matter. This new phase means new responsibilities, including renting an apartment. As a new renter, it is important to cover your belongings with renters’ insurance. In addition to covering your belongings, like your computer, clothing and furniture, renters’ insurance also provides liability insurance for accidental physical damages and bodily injury to others.

Are you covered under your parents’ insurance policy?

If you meet certain criteria, you may already be covered under your parents’ insurance:

  • You are a student and your parents’ dependent
  • You are registered at a recognized educational institution
  • You are a full-time student
  • You have moved away from home temporarily to complete your education

Usually, the parents’ home insurance usually covers a student’s personal property up to 10% of the parents’ insurance coverage. A limit on the amount payable may apply.

To determine your eligibility and to make sure that your parents’ coverage is sufficient to cover you and your belongings, consult their insurance company.

Renters’ insurance

If you are not covered by your parents’ insurance or if you move out of your parents’ home permanently, you must take out your own insurance to make sure you are protected.

Renters’ insurance is essential, as, in addition to not being very expensive, it provides liability coverage. This means that you are covered for accidental physical damages or bodily injury to others. As well, your personal property is covered, including your:

  • Computer and video games
  • Clothing and jewellery
  • Furniture and appliances

Note that some property, like games and jewellery are subject to limits on the amount payable.

With renters insurance, you will be covered against fire, theft and vandalism. You can also take out coverage against water damage. Thus, you can focus on your studies with peace of mind and avoid nasty surprises.


If you live with your spouse or a roommate, inform your insurance company so that this person can be added to your policy and thus, covered by your insurance.


Need advice?

Don’t hesitate to contact us if you’re wanting to shop around for new home insurance. One of our insurance agents will be happy to assist you and answer all your questions.

Get a quick quote now

My Client Space : Auto and home insurance

Manage your auto and home insurance online easily and securely, whenever you want.

Sign in Register


Advice Zone and economic news

The following tools will help you prepare before discussing the details of your coverage with one of our agents.

Financial compassarrow_forward

Quick home insurance quotearrow_forward