Choose home insurance adapted to your needs
Whether you are a homeowner or a renter, here are our tips to help you with your home insurance quote application.
Find home insurance coverage that meets your needs. Remember to take an inventory of your possessions (furniture, appliances, electrical appliances, electronics, clothing, shoes, jewellery, etc.). You may be surprised at how much you have and how much it all is worth.
Inventory your possessions
To facilitate reimbursement of your claim or replacement of your property in the event of a loss:
- Make a list of your possessions
- Take pictures and videos
- Keep your receipts
- Note the date when and location where you purchased your valuables
- Keep a copy of your inventory in a secure location
- To make this process easier, use the property inventory form provided by the Insurance Bureau of Canada
When submitting your application for a quote:
- Indicate the cost equivalent to the value of your possessions
- Determine the actual amount that would be allotted in the event of a loss
- Make sure that this amount would enable you to replace your possessions and valuables
- Purchase specific insurance if the value of your possessions exceeds the maximum allotted for certain categories of possession (jewellery and works of art)
Please have the following information on hand:
- Current insurance policy
- Inventory your possessions
- Details of previous claims and losses
- Distance between your home and the closest fire hydrant
- Distance between your home and the fire station
Renter vs. homeowner
If you rent, you must provide certain information regarding the building in which you live, such as the number of units, the building’s exterior, and the type of heating. If you own a condo or a house, our quick reference sheet with respect to your application for a home insurance quote will help you to gather the information needed to submit your application for a quote.
Is everyone covered?
Your spouse and children are covered under your insurance. However, if you have roommates, any home or renter’s insurance must name all roommates in order to cover their possessions as well.