iA Financial Group becomes a signatory of the United Nations PRI
iA Financial Group is happy to announce that the company is now a signatory of the United Nations Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI) through its iA Investment Management (iAIM) subsidiary.
The Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI) were developed by an international group of institutional investors in partnership with the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Finance Initiative and the UN Global Compact. They reflect the increasing relevance of environmental, social and corporate governance issues to investment practices. The process was convened by the United Nations Secretary-General.
“We believe responsible investment is a factor of success and that incorporating environmental, social and governance criteria is the best way to achieve responsible investment. Creating long-term value relies on a financial system that is both sustainable and economically effective,” stated Michel Tremblay, Executive Vice-President and Chief Investment Officer of iA Financial Group.
The six Principles for Responsible Investment are:
- We will incorporate ESG issues into investment analysis and decision-making processes.
- We will be active owners and incorporate ESG issues into our ownership policies and practices.
- We will seek appropriate disclosure on ESG issues by the entities in which we invest.
- We will promote acceptance and implementation of the Principles within the investment industry.
- We will work together to enhance our effectiveness in implementing the Principles.
- We will each report on our activities and progress towards implementing the Principles.
The PRI initiative works with an international network of signatories to apply the Principles. As of October 2018, this network included more than 2,000 signatories from over 50 different countries, representing more than $80 trillion in assets. Canada accounted for 116 of these PRI signatories.
The first report on iA Financial Group’s responsible investment activities will be published in the first quarter of 2021, based on activities carried out in 2020.
2018 Sustainability Report
iA Financial Group’s 2018 Sustainability Report is now available on the ia.ca website, under About iA, in the Sustainable development section. This document presents a full view of the company’s sustainability commitments and achievements.
Highlights of the 2018 Sustainability Report:
Main environmental impacts
- $65 million invested in renewable energy
- Addition of two LEED Gold certified buildings to our real estate portfolio (Vancouver and Winnipeg)
- Over 167 tons of paper recovered for recycling, representing the equivalent of 2,870 trees saved
Main social impacts
- Optimization of the company’s donation and community involvement policy
- $5.1 million in donations to close to 500 organizations, the equivalent of $750 per employee
- Record contribution of over $1.5 million to United Way-Centraide campaigns
Main governance impacts
- Adoption of a board diversity policy
- Adoption of sustainable development policy