Director, Actuarial and Finance
- Employer: iA Financial Group
- Office: 400-988 Broadway West
- City: Vancouver
- Province: British Columbia
- Job category: Customer Service and Administrative Support
- Job ID: JR10005100
- Job type: Permanent Job Full time
iA Financial Group is the fourth largest life and health insurance company in Canada and offers a wide range of products for all stages of life and to meet the needs of clients across its vast sales network. Founded in 1892, iA Financial Group’s stability and solidity make it an employer of choice that invests in its employees and their development over the long term.
With operations across Canada and in the United States, iA Financial Group and its over 5,000 employees work hard every day to offer the best service to over four million clients.
The Director, Actuarial and Finance plays a pivotal role in the profitability and business development within the Special Market Solutions (Solutions) department of iA Financial Group. The incumbent will be responsible for leading the Solutions Actuarial and Finance departments in growing the line of business profitability. This position will report to the National VP of Solutions and will be part of Solutions Leadership Team.
- Participate in the development of new products and the management and improvement of existing ones. The Director will be responsible for the pricing of all products.
- Responsible for establishing the theoretical rate bases for group insurance.
- Supervise the production of mortality and morbidity studies as well as expenditure studies.
- Participate in defining the position of group insurance in the face of legislative developments or changes in the competitive environment.
- Identify the exposure to risks, measure them and propose necessary actions to control them.
- Establish group insurance reserve bases and supervise the monthly calculation, as well as the projection of cash flows for matching purposes.
- Participate in the negotiation of reinsurance treaties and monitor their application. Be responsible for reinsurance strategies and propose corrective actions if necessary.
- Be responsible for the accounting operations, in particular at the level of premium management and the control of paid benefits.
- Prepare and analyze the business line financial planning model.
- Participate in the audit of financial statements.
- Be responsible for the development and implementation of information systems allowing the effective analysis and management of exposure to risk.
Business Development and Partner Relations
- Participate in projects to acquire blocks of business or companies; the role of the Director is to determine the profitability of prospective projects and ensures that it fits within corporate objectives.
- Liaise as needed with strategic partnerships of the division. Ensure that partners are compliant with Solutions pricing and that they adhere to procedures and polices.
- University degree in Actuarial Science, Statistics, Mathematics or similar
- Must have 10 or more years of relevant work experience within the Insurance industry. Experience within a Group setting would be preferred.
- Successful completion of FSA, FCIA,ASA designation or equivalent
- Strong technical, analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- This role will oversee and provide leadership to two different teams that are comprised of 15 employees. So it is vital that the incumbent have excellent leadership skills with ability to build and develop a strong team, gain respect, credibility and confidence from the teams that you will lead.
- Bilingualism in French would be considered an asset
- Experience working in actuarial oversight function, with advanced knowledge of pricing, valuation, risk management and reserving functions
What we Offer
- Brand new state of the art, transit accessible building with access to fully equipped gym
- Employer subsidized meals
- Transit Subsidy program
- 35 hour work week
- Casual work environment including a casual dress code
- Working in a very close knit team who enjoys numerous fun social activities in and outside of work
- Comprehensive health and dental plan including a health spending account and wellness account
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan
- An annual bonus
- Generous vacation entitlement including personal leave days
- Support for learning and development and career growth
If you have any further questions regarding this great opportunity please feel free to reach out on Linkedin to Nicole Lum, Talent Acquisition Consultant: https://www.linkedin.com/in/nicole-marie-lum-b-comm-cphr-398b7513/
iA Financial Group is committed to having an equal access employment program and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples and disabled persons. Any use of the masculine form is to simplify the text and includes the feminine form.
Also, we are committed to fostering a workplace that promotes diversity and inclusion. We can provide accommodation in our recruitment and selection processes to applicants with disabilities where required. Please contact your Recruiter, or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.