Director, Underwriting (Individual Insurance) and New Business
- Employer: iA Financial Group
- City: Toronto
- Job category: Business Administration, Finance and Accounting, Health and Medical, Leadership and Management, Sales and Business Development
- Job ID: J0617-0878
- Job type: Regular full time
Company OverviewiA Financial Group is the fourth largest life and health insurance company in Canada and offers a wide range of products for all stages of life and to meet the needs of clients across its vast sales network. Founded in 1892, iA Financial Group’s stability and solidity make it an employer of choice that invests in its employees and their development over the long term.
With operations across Canada and in the United States, iA Financial Group and its over 5,000 employees work hard every day to offer the best service to over four million clients.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice-President of Underwriting and New Business, the incumbent will manage and mobilize a multi-disciplinary team in the Toronto office. The incumbent will be responsible for the risk assessment and the establishment of individual insurance contracts. The incumbent will be responsible for the following:
- Manage recruitment, employee training and development, performance evaluations for your team;
- Create a climate that encourages high performance, as well as personal and professional development for the members of your team;
- Be accountable for effective implementation of and adherence to established business processes, underwriting guidelines and service standards;
- Mobilize the team to reach and set goals for continuous improvement;
- Work in partnership with the administration teams in Quebec, Toronto and Vancouver, the sales team, and business relations such as service providers and reinsurers.
Relationship with agencies:
-The incumbents main role will be to ensure that, beyond our service standards, agencies’ expectations with respect to the client experience are met or exceeded, by:
-Ensuring a regular presence in the agencies with purpose of public relations, agency interaction and education;
- Enquiring about the needs of the agencies and ensuring these are met;
- Implementing improvements to service, communication, standards, rules and procedures to better meet agencies’ and clients’ needs;
- Act as a resource to members of the sales team and underwriters regarding exceptions, problems or requests for information.
- Assist in the evolution of business processes to optimize customer experience and ensure related objectives are attained;
- Participate in defining and maintaining the strategy to develop and maintain IT systems and tools to improve quality, service and efficiency;
- Supervise the continuous improvement of the department’s operations and service in collaboration with other Directors/Managers.
- Bachelor’s degree and 10 years of relevant work experience in life insurance
- Prefer 5 years of experience leading a team
- Experience as an Individual Insurance Underwriter is an asset
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Skills needed to build and maintain a high performance team
- A strong and proactive client service approach
- Ability to initiate and maintain trusting relationships with internal and external clients
- Ability to plan, organize and set work priorities for the team
- Excellent analytical and coordination skills
iA Financial Group adheres to an equal access employment program and encourages women, aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, and members of visible minorities to apply.