Disability Case Manager (LTD), Vancouver
- Employer: iA Financial Group
- City: Vancouver
- Job category: Health and Medical
- Job ID: J0618-0191
- Job type: Regular full time
Company OverviewiA Financial Group is the fourth largest life and health insurance company in Canada and offers a wide range of products for all stages of life and to meet the needs of clients across its vast sales network. Founded in 1892, iA Financial Group’s stability and solidity make it an employer of choice that invests in its employees and their development over the long term.
With operations across Canada and in the United States, iA Financial Group and its over 5,000 employees work hard every day to offer the best service to over four million clients.
Purpose and Accountability
Reporting to the Manager, Group Life & Disability Claims in Vancouver, the incumbent is responsible for processing long-term disability claims to determine if the individual is eligible for disability benefits. The Case Manager must develop a case management plan for every claim, whilst relying on any medical reports that are deemed necessary, as well as related policies and procedures.
What will I be doing?
You’ll assess disability claims via telephone to determine the eligibility for benefits – considering medical information and contractual provisions – which will include conducting detailed telephone interviews to obtain pertinent medical and non-medical information. You’ll assess and identify the non-medical factors and functional limitations which are likely to influence the duration of disability, and facilitate the return to work in collaboration with a rehabilitation team. This will include determining a gradual return to work plan in collaboration with the attending physician, participant, and policyholder, as required. You’ll need to proactively manage disability claims, using all sources available including IME’s and other resources available.
You’ll also be communicating regularly – by email, telephone, fax and hard copy letters – with policy holders, participants, health professionals, other service providers as well as various levels of government. This job will require you to deal with difficult calls, with dissatisfied and potentially irate callers, because of a decision that impacts their benefit eligibility. You’ll need to be able to handle difficult calls whilst committing to providing a high level of service.
In addition, you’ll maintain the participant’s file in our system, be responsible for all billing of EI (Early Intervention), attend meetings with clients and suppliers, and help with special projects.
• post-secondary education (kinesiology and/or healthcare, human resources or a related field)
• knowledge of medical and occupational health & safety terminology
• 4 to 5 years of related experience
• excellent communication skills
• exceptional organisational skills
• strong analytical skills and excellent problem solving ability
• the ability to work with minimal supervision
• maintaining a positive attitude, and the ability to work in a fast paced and demanding work environment
• the ability to work with multiple deadlines
• adaptable and flexible
• customer service orientation
• bilingual (French/English, written and verbal) would be an asset, but is not a requirement
iA Financial Group is committed to having an equal access employment program and welcomes applications from women, visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples and disabled persons. Any use of the masculine form is to simplify the text and includes the feminine form.