“See Better to Succeed” - The RAMQ’s new program
On September 12, 2019, the Quebec provincial government launched the “See Better to Succeed” financial assistance program. This program, administered by the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ), offers a reimbursement of $250 for the purchase of eyeglasses or contact lenses for any child under the age of 18.
All children are eligible for the program if they meet the following conditions:
- Have a valid Quebec health insurance card
- Are under the age of 18 on the date the eyeglasses or contact lenses are purchased
- Have received a prescription for corrective eyeglasses or contact lenses during an eye exam conducted by an authorized optometrist or ophthalmologist
A reimbursement of $250 can be claimed for each child under 18.
- This amount is fixed; it does not vary with the cost of the purchase
- A person submitting a claim for a child under the new program must wait two years from the date the purchase is made to again be eligible for reimbursement under the program
Conditions associated with the purchase
- Only purchases made since September 1, 2019, are eligible
- Only purchases made from a Quebec optician or optometrist, either online or in-store, are eligible
To apply for reimbursement
- To apply for financial assistance under the “See Better to Succeed” program, complete the online application form on the RAMQ website.
- Claims will not be reimbursed by the optometrist or ophthalmologist, as is the case with eye exams
- The RAMQ will send the reimbursement cheque by mail within three weeks of submitting a claim
- Plan members can then apply for reimbursement of the portion not paid by the new program under their group insurance plan if vision care, including eyeglasses and contact lenses, is covered under their plan
When covered, vision care falls under the supplemental health insurance coverage which, as the name implies, acts as a complement to provincial health coverage. This is why plan members must first submit their claims for reimbursement for eyeglasses and contact lenses to the RAMQ. They can then submit their claim for the amount not covered by the new program to iA Financial Group.
iA Financial Group is working with other industry representatives to adjust how claims are reimbursed based on the rules of the new RAMQ program. We will keep you informed of any developments as they occur.
If you have any questions, please contact your advisor or your iA Financial Group Account Executive.