Medical Second Opinion
On May 1, 2012, Industrial Alliance will introduce Medical Second Opinion to its line of services. Medical Second Opinion is the first Canadian-based second medical opinion consultation service. Upon identification of a serious medical condition, plan members may quickly obtain second opinions from leading medical specialists at the McGill University Health Centre (MUHC).
This service will replace the Best Doctors service effective May 1, 2012
Benefits to plan members
- Reduces waiting time for a medical second opinion with medical specialists
- Reduces stress by validating an original diagnosis and/or providing treatment options
- Reduces (or avoids) travel in order to gain access to a specialist for a medical second opinion
- May lead to better treatment options, preventing unnecessary surgery or invasive, highrisk treatment
Benefits to employers
- Reduces time lost at work as a result of employees coordinating their own care
- Reduces stress-related leaves of absence
- Promotes better productivity as a result of faster turnaround times for second opinions, less stress and more peace of mind
- Shows you are a caring employer
A brochure for plan administrators, a fold-out for plan members and a web page will soon be available. Please note that a second communiqué with more details will be sent to you with May’s billing (April 20).
If you have questions or are interested in getting the Medical Second Opinion service, please contact your benefits advisor or Industrial Alliance group account executive.